- To build the confidence and ability to parent positively.
- To use a firm and fair approach to parenting.
- To understand the difference between discipline and punishment.
Watch the SKIP video/s ‘Children’s voices’ together. Choose from these YouTube options:
- Children’s voices — What matters to kids?(external link) (2015)
- Children’s voices(external link) (2008)
- Pacific children’s voices(external link)
Although the children may be older than your group’s children, there are some great messages in here for all of us.
Discuss as a group:
- What did you like about the video/s?
- What are the main messages the children tell us?
In pairs or small groups, work together and discuss the questions below. Imagine you were making a film and asked children your child’s age the questions below. How would they respond? (Regardless of their age, imagine that the kids can all talk):
- How should your mum and dad talk to you?
- How can they help you to behave well?
- How can they reward you?
- How can they help you when you’re upset?
- How do you know your mum and dad love you?
Afterwards, ask the participants:
- What have you learned?
- Can you think of new or different things you can do to help your child?